Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Where did I leave off?

I really don't know when or where I last posted something. We were out of cell phone reception for a while near the Nevada/Utah border so I let things slide.

Mike and I are now at the SLC Amtrak station waitibg for the 11:30 PM train departure. Bob opted for the flight home.

We managed to complete the trip with no injuries or frostbite. It was pretty cold at time though. I think my nose and lips are looking forward to a few days recovery out of the cold and wind. I may still spend a day in the sauna when I get back home although it doesn't seem as urgent as it did about a week ago. I'd have to say that while the cold wasn't really nasty, I did find myself at times thinking a lot more about how to feel warm than how to appreciate the scenery.

I'm glad I got an opportunity to ride Highway 50. When I drove it a few years ago with Stan I looked at it through a biker's eyes and imagined it would be a challenge of note to ride, with the long distances between services. And that it would be an enjoyable route to ride with good road surfaces, few vehicles, and great scenery. I think it was both of those in reality, although with cold rather than heat perhaps the challenge wasn't as great as I had imagined. Maybe I'll have to do the ride again in summer. After figuring out how to carry 10-15 pounds less of bike and stuff.
-----------------------
Sent from my Treo(r) smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment